Real Estate

Real estate accounting expertise

Guidance in planning, development, financing, management and operations

We invest in your success.

The complexity of the real estate industry requires in-depth knowledge and strategic thinking. Our clients depend on us for reliable and straightforward advice on tax credits, incentives and deductions, partnership issues, and audit guidelines. You can rely on Boyum Barenscheer to help you navigate the ever-changing landscape of the real estate industry and stay ahead of the curve.

Our real estate accounting clients

We work with a variety of privately held and nonprofit real estate professionals including:

  • Developers
  • Investors and Investment Companies
  • Property Management Companies
  • Affordable Housing properties
  • Multi-Family Housing
  • Senior Cooperative Housing
  • Student Cooperative Housing
  • Family and Estate Enterprises

Our real estate accounting services

Boyum Barenscheer’s team of seasoned professionals work collaboratively with our real estate clients to address their key needs including:

Real Estate Audits

  • MHFA
  • USDA – Rural Development
  • Tax credit properties
  • Other regulatory agencies

Real Estate Tax Consulting

Outsourced Accounting Services

Strategy and Management

Performance and Profitability

  • Budgeting and forecasting
  • Cash flow analysis
  • Lease vs. Purchase analysis
  • Deal structuring including 1031 exchange



How do I handle distributions, income or expense allocation among partners?

All distributions, income and expense allocations should be defined within the partnership agreement that was signed when the partnership was established. Work with your income tax preparer to determine the proper accounting for tax purposes.

What are the taxable amounts on the sale of real estate?

If there is a gain on the sale of the real estate, it will be taxed as capital property. If the gain is deferred, (1031 Exchange), then any gain on the sale of the property will be added to the basis of any like-kind property purchased in the required time frame. (See 1031 exchange requirements.) Consult with your tax advisor or CPA to assist with implementing the requirements for a 1031 exchange.