I’m Still Waiting For My K-1 – What Should I Do?

Chris Wittich

What should you do when you are waiting for a K-1 form to file your tax return?  If you are a business owner that has a K-1 that contains the majority of your income for the year, hopefully you have been doing tax plans so you have a pretty good idea of what that K-1 will contain.

For people who only have small K-1s from investments they do not totally control, it can be a mystery what is coming on the K-1 and when it might be coming.  One option is to file your return without the K-1 and then amend your return later.

The other choice is to extend your return and wait for the K-1 to arrive.  An extended individual return is due October 15th, and all the K-1s are due September 15th (if they are extended), so you should have a month to take that K-1 and get your return filed.  When you do your individual extension, be sure to make any tax payments that are needed to avoid late payment penalties.  I would leave a cushion since you don’t know what exactly is coming on the K-1.  One tip for publicly-traded K-1s:  They are often available on their website or they may have an estimate of the K-1 income so you can file your extensions.

I suppose a third choice is you can badger the accountant preparing the K-1 to have it ready tomorrow.  Do not choose this option if I am the accountant preparing the K-1, but feel free to badger the other accountants out there.  You might not always get it the next day, but it’s tax season and we are used to it.


How to Save on Accounting Fees


Crowdfunding Tax Consequences