Boyum Barenscheer Tax Organizer Tips
Tax Day for individual tax filers is typically April 15th each year unless the day falls on a holiday or weekend. The IRS extended the filing season in 2020 and last year because of COVID-19. But that is not the case for tax returns filed in 2022. For this year, the deadline to file your taxes is April 18th, though you can file for an extension to October 15th. Due to the holiday weekend our firm is targeting April 15th as the tax deadline.
To meet the tax deadline; we will need your Tax Organizer and tax documents by March 18th, 2022. Once you’ve gathered most of your tax documents, use our Tax Organizer to ORGANIZE these documents. Here are some basic guidelines for using the organizer:
- Answer the questions and provide details if requested. If aren’t sure of the answer, leave it blank or leave a note.
- Make sure your address is correct or make any changes
- Add any dependents or remove any who are no longer dependents
- Include a copy of a cancelled check so that we can have any balance due withdrawn or refund direct deposited.
- Review listing of prior year financial accounts and make sure you have included Forms 1099 for all or make note of any accounts that were closed.
- Review listing of estimated tax payments and provide the date and amount of federal and state estimated tax payments made.
- Fill out the lines on the organizer only for data not supported with an IRS reporting form.
The organizer is really for YOU! If you use it correctly, it can help you track the information needed to file your taxes without minimal questions from us which will save you time and money.